Monday, March 10, 2008

Saturday: Langerado out of the Rain

So when I said in the last post that it started to rain after the Umphrey's McGee late night set, I really was not kidding. Lightning, thunder, sheets of water- I had resigned myself to never getting out of my tent again. Ah well, thought I as the sky lit up yet again, at least if I go, my last memory was of Jake Cinninger tearing into his guitar.

Melodramatics aside, we awoke on Saturday to find the weather clear. What's a little sleep deprivation?

I started the day by wandering over to the Sunset Stage to catch some of Railroad Earth's set. This band always confuses me. Although I like the easy bluegrass chug of their music, I always expect things to go a little more uptempo than they do live. Their studio albums seem to capture that better- but that could also be because the celtic influences become more apparent in the live show. Anyway, the show included "Long Way To Go," "Like A Buddah" and "Bird In A House." They may fall a bit far from my personal tastes but we had a great time hopping around in the mud. Besides, any friend of Kerouac is a friend of mine (read "October in the Railroad Earth" for those who failed to get that reference).

Unforunately, I had to skip the State Radio set- I've actually seen these guys open for Spearhead and heard through the media-tent-grapevine that their set went very well. I did catch Chad Urmston doing a solo acoustic jam backstage; one note out of his mouth and I was automatically kicked back to the days of Dispatch.

Moving along. Next up was the Avett Brothers. The buzz going around Langerado was charged for this set and the crowd began to swell way earlier than all the previous day artists. I was insanely curious about what a neo-bluegrass group with pop-punk influences sounded like. Hold that thought and skip to a half hour later. Apparently, a car accident prevented the Brothers from getting into the festival site and had to cancel their appearance. Their website promises that they "want you to know that we will be back to southern Florida as soon as we are able."

I had the chance to hear Ben Folds sing acoustic backstage and I have to admit, I was surprised by what I heard. I know this guy for his hit "Brick," possibly one of the most depressing tracks of all time. And yet, Folds' solo music is anything but serious. In fact, most of it is self-depricating geek rock.

I was told not to miss Antibalas and now I know why. One part roots based African samba, one part rockabilly, Antibalas is the answer to a dull morning. Or an overstimulated early evening. Either way, these guys provided one of the most high energy sets of the weekend.

All this and we haven't even hit on Thievery Corporation, Medeski, Martin, Scofield and Wood, R.E.M. or Disco Biscuits. Stay tuned.

No comments: