Saturday, March 08, 2008

Langerado Day 2: Sunshine and Rock 'N' Roll

Langerado has shaped up to be one of those eclectic festivals where the crowd is as diverse as the line-up. Yesterday was one of those perfect Florida days, where the breeze was strong, the sun hot, the sky cloudless.



Things got kicked off with a 12:30 afternoon set from The Dynamites, which stuck out as a new name for me. Lead vocalist Charles Walker strutted onstage in a lime green zoot suit- he and his band dug deep to kick off Friday with an hour-long set. Before leaving the stage, Walker bowed and told the crowd that "Whatever you do, Do it with soul."



Next I wandered over to the Swamp Stage to catch the Earl Greyhound show. This band always confuses me. Physically, the band looks great- one part hipster soul with a dash of Lenny Kravits love patrol. The problem with the band is its' divided cohesion. This is the third time I've been in the audience for their show and I've found that the moments of cohesion are intermitint with this weird division. Sometimes I think they're playing three different songs.



I caught enough of the Indigenous set to get the fact that I need to see more. These guys can play- loud, soulfoul, rockin'. If there were any tapers in the audience, I'd really appreciate a copy of this set.



Sam Bush hit the Swamp stage at 3:30 for a good ol' afternoon hoe-down. Everyone knows what to expect from Bush: down home, Southern-style Nashville guitar pickin' with a side of dizzying banjo. He ended the set with a Dylan cover, the title of which is escaping me at the moment.

After Bush, the Wailers brought us what we needed for a sunny afternoon: some of our favorites from their days with Bob Marley. The guys kicked the set off with some new songs before introducing Matisyahu (who also made a cameo during the Ozomatli set) for "No Woman, No Cry." That led to a run of songs that included "Stir It Up," "Get Up, Stand Up," "I Shot The Sheriff," "One Love," "It's Gonna Be Alright" and "Jammin'."

And that was just the afternoon. More on what went down last night in a minute.

No comments: