Monday, April 23, 2007

Marley and Weir at Green Apple SF

By Joanne Ruby

Today was one of those days when I say, “This is why I moved here.” I spent some morning hours with my dog at our precious East Bay beach in Albany where I made my contribution to Earth Day collecting trash to help protect the Bay.

I came home ready for more Earth Day activity and remembering the Green Apple Music and Arts Earth Day Festival in Golden Gate Park that I saw on Festival Preview, I told my husband and 14-year-old daughter we could go see the son of her new-found fave, Bob Marley, and hear my beloved Bobby Weir. Despite the last-minute decision to go and perennial weekend traffic, we made it in time for the main acts.

Jumping and hand-waving under sunny skies at Speedway Meadow, the crowd seemed to be more in the spirit of Rastafarians than Earth Day. But seeing teens and 20-somethings swaying to the music of Stephen Marley warmed my heart. I was taken back to my own turn-on to Bob Marley and the Wailers in the late-70’s. It sure wasn’t like seeing Bob, but this was pretty darn good. Early on, Marley treated the crowd to two of his father’s most popular songs: No Woman No Cry and Could You Be Loved. But the audience was just as excited about his song, Mind Control, off his new CD. As one very satisfied festival-goer next to me commented, “It really felt like he was channeling Bob.”

Between acts we did hear mention of Earth Day. “Be sure to check out the Sustainable Living Road Show – it’s our effort to take care of Mother Earth.” And then it was Bob Weir’s turn to remind folks why they came out. Ratdog started with a long rendition of Jack Straw and moved right into Cassidy. Belting out his lyrics with head held high, I got a hit of Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums. It wasn’t just the white beard and graying hair; he had a true statesman look and stance – like a revered leader looks when he is addressing his people. I loved Book of Rules, which Weir had first played with Bobby & the Midnites and later with Kingfish, and Money for Gasoline with its wonderful calypso/reggae sound.

Weir took time out by introducing his good friend and neighbor, Sammy Hagar, who fired up the crowd with Loose Lucy. Weir came back with one of my all-time favorite Dead songs, Eyes of the World and in the true style of Jerry Garcia spun off with some wonderful improvisational interludes.

On our way out, we briefly checked out some of the Earth Day booths of “green” vendors and organizations, bought my green shopping bag, sampled some great Clif Bars while hearing Ratdog do the Beatles’ Dear Prudence. Looking at the crowd one last time, it was clear that everyone was delighted that the Green Apple Festival promoters had the good idea to treat us to yet another wonderful free concert in the park.

No comments: